Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Vision

Alright, ya'll. {I really want this southern "ya'll" thing to work for me! ;)} I'm sorry. I'm a bad blogger. I've always been a bad journaler...I guess this is the same. I'm working on it, though.

Adam graduated from Airman Leadership School last night! Woohoo! Five weeks of non-stop school and homework sucked, but it was well worth it. He has now been trained to be a supervisor and I'm sure will do an excellent job. At the graduation there was a guest speaker who talked about vision and it really struck a chord with me. He said that there are 4 points to vision:

  1. How you see yourself
  2. How you see others
  3. How others see you
  4. How you see the future
I loved what he said about point #2. He summarized it by saying that if you see your teenager as a dirtbag then he'll be a dirtbag, but if you see him as a shining star then he'll be a shining star. I think there's a lot of truth to that. I think that our kids need to see that we think they are great, that they have endless potential, and that they are incredibly and powerfully loved. If we expect their best, they will give it to us. If we set them up to fail...they will. I want to be the parent (and the spouse, friend, daughter, etc) that believes in my kids (or spouse, friend, etc...) and sets them up for success. I want them to know that I support them and love them and believe in them. I want to exude positivity and build up the people around me, especially my children. 

His words really made sense to me and I hope that Adam and I can be very intentional about seeing the best in our children and each other. It does a lot for your self worth when someone else shows you how much they believe in you.


No comments:

Post a Comment